Code of Conduct (COC)
The objective of the NSUI is to mould future leaders for the nation and to organise the students of India towards the realization of the objectives of the Indian National Congress. The Organisation draws its strength from the character, values and conduct of its members. This Code of Conduct sets out the Organisation’s ethical philosophy and the behavioural norms which members and office-bearers are expected to adhere to.
The behavioural norms specified in the Code of Conduct are intended to foster Good Citizenship, Organisational Strengthening and Personal Development. The behavioural norms have been classified as Mandatory and Desirable.
The Mandatory standards of conduct go to the very heart of our Organization’s belief system and these are non-negotiable irrespective of time, place or circumstance. Any violation of these standards by any member or office-bearer shall attract disciplinary action by the competent organisational authority. The Desirable norms are good practices which will bring the lives of Members closer to the philosophy of the Organisation. Adherence to these norms cannot be externally enforced; it must be an outcome of the personal accountability that comes when a Member awakens to the Message of the Organisation. Members are therefore encouraged to reflect upon the need for these practices and incorporate them into their lives on a voluntary basis. However, disciplinary action may be taken against the concerned member or office bearer if any violation of Desirable norms brings public disrepute to the image of the Organisation. The Organisation will have a higher expectation from office-bearers in this respect than it does from members.
Mandatory Standards of Conduct:
1. All members will adhere to and owe sole allegiance to the Constitutions of Indian National Congress and National Students Union of India. All members and office bearers must follow all organisational processes, rules and guidelines issued from time to time.
2. Members will not use their organisational position or membership for personal financial gains.
3. Members will not involve in anti-party activities and shall work at all time to maintain organisational integrity. They are expected to maintain organisational protocol, respect senior leaders of the Party and refrain from speaking against the Party/Organisational stand in public. Any misuse of organisational funds, and false complaints against fellow members and office-bearers shall not be acceptable.
4. NSUI is the only student organisation affiliated to the Indian National Congress party. Therefore, no member or office-bearer of NSUI will form or associate with any other student organisation in the name of any party leader or others.
5. Members will refrain from acts of violence, physical and verbal intimidation, use of foul language or indecent behaviour.
6. Members will strive at all times to treat everyone equally and strengthen the fabric of national unity. No member shall discriminate against anyone on the basis of caste, religion, language, region or gender. Members will not indulge in any activity that may harm the social fabric and communal harmony and lead to the division/discrimination of the people on communal/caste lines.
7. Members will not be involved in any criminal/anti-social/anti-national activities, or any grave offence involving moral turpitude.
8. NSUI members will renounce social evils such as dowry, female foeticide and violence against women.
Desirable Norms of Behaviour:
1. All members will strive to lead a life of simplicity and austerity. Members are expected to refrain from public display of wealth and power such as the use of big luxury vehicles, beacon lights on vehicles, and extravagant celebrations of personal/family/organisational functions.
2. Members will strive to be free of bad habits such as smoking, the consumption of gutka, pan masala, alcohol, drugs and other intoxicants. They will also promote anti-addiction/de-addiction activities.
4. To avoid public inconvenience, NSUI members will ensure that essential services are not disrupted by any program of the organisation and no damage is caused to public property.
5. Reception of leaders at railway stations and airports when required should be simple and avoid show of strength and disruption of traffic.
6. NSUI members will not give/receive expensive articles as gift to/from anyone.
7. Members will do community work/social service throughout the year. This may be in the form of adopting a village/school/slum area etc. and engaging in positive social activity in the same in the form of shramdaan (to promote dignity of labour), medical camps, educational activities, environmental awareness, promotion of Khadi, cleanliness etc.
8. Members will volunteer speedy help, relief and security to those in need in situations of natural and man-made calamities.
9. NSUI members will not involve in any form of ragging and related activities.
10. NSUI members are expected to be good/model students having respect for faculty, institutional rules, campus discipline and attendance in classes.